5 Benefits of Gotu Kola
Gotu Kola is one of those immune boosting powerful herbs that have a special place in my heart. Through this blog post, we will explore just some of the benefits of this amazing herb.
I love taking herbal formulas where multiple herbs are synergistically stimulating the same organ. But, I also love to have fun and experiment with different individual herbs.
As many of you guys know by now, I am a self proclaimed “herb nerd”. I like to see what some of these powerful plants can do on their own. Gotu Kola has been one of those experimental herbs for me.
Here are some of the reasons I love Gotu Kola:
1. It Aids in Cognitive Function and Alzhemier’s Treatment
- Now, for someone to truly reverse a condition like alzhemier’s or dementia, they’d need to get on detoxification protocol so that they can release the accumulation of mucus, acid, and heavy metals in the brain. But the fact that Gotu Kola has been proven to aid in treating Alzhemier’s in patients who never went on a detox or made any big changes to their diet proves how potent this herb is.
I had a client who struggled with a number of manifestations of “diseases” (symptoms due to acidosis). He was actually diagnosed with schizophrenia (a serious brain “dis-ease” which affects a person's ability to think, feel, and behave clearly). He also had frequent panic attacks. When it comes to schizophrenia, this is an adrenal gland and a pituitary gland issue. The adrenal glands play such a vital role when it comes to anxiety. The pituitary controls all your other glands in general. He was a very anxious guy. Part of his herbal protocol included two adrenal formulas, an upper circulation formula, a pituitary formula, a lymphatic formula, and Gotu Kola. He noticed a drastic difference in his anxiety and panic attack episodes the same day which he started his protocol.
To this day, he takes Gotu Kola daily and swears by it. I now have him on a diet which is promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria in his gut. He has a clearer understanding of the importance of gut health when it comes to his moods. He did the work and is now seeing amazing & drastic results.
2. It Calms the Nervous System
- This herb is amazing for people with nervous system disorders. There are various studies showing a reduction in stress, depression, and anxiety in patients & animals treated with Gotu Kola.
Here are a few:
3. It Can Stimulate Hair Growth
- Because Gotu Kola focuses a lot on the brain, it stimulates blood flow and circulation to the head region. This can help in increasing hair length and stimulating hair growth.
4. It Enhances Spirituality
-Gotu Kola is a favorite herb of many monks and yogis because of its distinctive cerebral effects. Different Ayurvedic texts reference the herb's spiritually enhancing properties. It has often been referred to it as the 'Herb of Enlightenment’. It contains properties that increase intelligence & cognitive functioning. Gotu Kola is very popular in some of the most spiritual places on Earth: Central Asia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Africa, and various islands in the South Pacific. I personally love taking Gotu Kola prior to a long meditation in conjunction with peaceful background music.
(The man pictured above is Li Ching Yuen).
5. It Is Nutritious
-Gotu Kola is fairly rich in Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, and Dietary Fiber.
Here is what 100 grams of Gotu Kola can provide based on the recommended dietary intake (RDI) needs:
- Calcium: 171 milligrams (17% of the RDI)
- Iron: 5.6 milligrams (31% of the RDI)
- Potassium: 391 milligrams (11% of the RDI)
- Vitamin A: 442 micrograms (49% of the RDI)
- Vitamin C: 48.5 milligrams (81% of the RDI)
Vitamin B2: 0.19 milligrams (9% of the RDI)
Whether your goal is to help alleviate the symptoms of Alzheimer's, improve your mood, increase your nutrition, or boost your immune system in general, Gotu Kola would be a great herb for you to consider. As always, I recommend you also do your own research before choosing to consume
Stay happy & healthy, friends.